Friday, March 7, 2008

March/April Book

"A Girl Named Zippy"
by Haven Kimmel
Short Summary of book:In this first book, Kimmel has written a love letter to her hometown of Mooreland, IN, a town with an unchanging population of 300 in America's heartland. Nicknamed "Zippy" for her energetic interpretation of a circus monkey, she could not be bothered to speak until she was three years old, and her first words involved bargaining with her father about whether or not a baby bottle was still appropriate. Born in 1965, Zippy lived in a world filled with a loving family, peculiar neighbors, and multitudes of animals, including a chicken she loved and treated like a baby. Her story is filled with good humor, fine storytelling, and acute observations of small town life




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this was an enjoyable read for everyone. I found this book so humorous. I would be reading it and just laugh out loud because it was so funny! I love the author's recollections of her youth. Her writing style is easy to follow and creates such vivid images. It made me reflect back to my own childhood and wish that I kept a better journal of the things I did and said so that I could remember them now! One of the parts I loved was when she made fun of the lady to the pharmacist not knowing it was his wife. I did something very similar. Not funny at the time, but I can laugh about it now. I found it interesting that even though Zippy's family had some flaws and struggles her life was good because her parents loved her, even if they weren't perfect.

Jana and Mario said...

I have been waiting for someone else to make a comment, so now I can comment also! I thought this book was very funny also, and it also reminded me of my childhood. My favorite part was when her sister told her that she was adopted (whose siblings haven't tried that one!) and she totally ate it up! The story of the gypsies and all, too funny! Overall, it was a great book and I too wish that I could remember specific instances in my young life much better, but my family has a good memory and loves to remind me all the time about the funny things I did as a child! :)

Anonymous said...

This book was a good read. It was a different type of book from the other ones I've been reading so it was a good change up and I enjoyed it. As Pamela and Jana said it was funny and I would just find myself laughing.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about Zippy and could identify with her feelings in so many ways. I loved growing up in a simpler time when the most exciting thing we did for the day was entice the dog into the tree house with Vienna Sausages. I was 12 when I got my first watch-it was such a big deal! I wore home made clothes all of the time-so did all of my friends. Like Zippy, I walked to church on Sundays and attended Kindergarden there on weekdays. I was trying to think of my favorite part of the book. I laughed out loud so many times while reading. I loved when she decided to become a member of the mafia-hilarious! I was touched when she got a piano for Christmas as I imagined her parents would have to make such an enormous sacrifice. It reminded me of the many sacrifices that my parents made in my behalf. One Christmas I got a big teddy bear (I was 5) and I kept it through college and young married life. The book was funny and sweet. I was happy that I got to enjoy it with you.